Recycled Coffee Bean Sack Cushion - DIY

I purchased some coffee bean sacks from a warehouse in the middle of nowhere awhile ago. I had made some table runners for my craft stall using a few, and still had some sitting in my garage just waiting to be transformed.

Ever since my folks got us a (mind blowing!) Breville Coffee machine, I wanted to transform our formal living room to make it an informal fun place to hang out! My transformed pallet wood IKEA tables already added so much character to the place, but I knew I wanted to make some recycled coffee bean sack cushions to add to the couch (in the process also transforming some existing sad-looking cushions I had bought ages ago). Here is how they turned out.


These recycled burlap coffee bean sack cushions require only one coffee bean bag, simple stitching (but thank God mum and dad helped!) and can be made in no time!




Here is all the stuff you need:
  • 1 standard burlap coffee bean sack 
  • Large-eye yarn needle
  • Yarn (I used multicolored, but you could use a solid colored one)
  • Embroidery threads to make tassels (optional, but I highly recommend)
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure
Procedure:
  1. We tied two of our existing (sad-looking and dead) cushions together to get a good filling for each cushion.
  2. Then we placed them on the coffee bean sack to decide on how to cut the sack to maximize the print on each cushion.
  3. After deciding the positioning, we cut the burlap sacks.
  4. Folding over each of the edges tightly to get a crease, we hand stitched two sides together in a beautiful blanket stitch.

  5. Because we wanted to add some color, we added loads of tassels using embroidery thread. Never too many tassels, right? :) Thanks to my Mum and Dad who helped me make each and every one of these!



Voila!  Now you have two fun recycled coffee bean sack cushions to showcase on your couch!



Love them!

-Divya

No comments:

Post a Comment